Friday, September 6, 2019

OOC: Epilogue

Editor's note: This out-of-character draft (written in 2013) was found amongst Druur's collection of published blog stories. It seemed polished enough to include here for his dear readers, those of you who followed the exploits of Druur Monakh, Amarrian freight hauler, industrialist, missioner, reaction mogul, and dread pirate across the backdrop of New Eden. 







“And if thou wilt, remember,
And if thou wilt, forget.”
-- Christina Rossetti


** This post is for when I stop playing EVE online. It is meant to summarize how the blog started as a thin veil over my game actions, and it turned into a fiction RP blog **

When I started this blog, it was with the idea to write a blog about an industrialist and missioner in EVE; its contents being what I did in the game, somewhat fictionalized, as a counter to all the pvp-oriented “I undocked. I killed stuff. I harvested tears.” blogs.

That idea pretty much died right off the bat. I just couldn’t bring myself to write about the planning and calculating and estimating my industrial activities required. It might have been interesting and educational to read, but it just wasn’t interesting enough for me to write (and likely I was the wrong person to even attempt it).

And another thing happened: Druur changed, and so did I. My goals in EVE changed, and at the same time, Druur started to develop a mind of her own.

Granted, sometimes I would nudge things just right for her to follow the path I had in mind for her, at least for a little while. At other times, what happened to her were reflections of what I thought and experienced in the real world. But as time passed, she turned into more than just a mere mirror of my real self; instead, she became someone independent. And the challenge for me became to chronicle her experiences in an engaging fashion.

I did manage to hold onto the most important of my original premises, though. Despite all the embellishment, reattributing, modifying, fictionalizing, and even the occasional staging of scenes, Druur’s story was alway based in one way or the other on real events in EVE, involving other players. And that made all the work worthwhile, because I never knew for sure what would happen next to her, or with whom. And without that uncertainty, I don’t think I would have been able to play EVE for as long as I did.

Druur is on her own now, and I hope that she is going to find happiness eventually. I wish I could visit her again one day, find out what she’s been up to - but it is an idle wish. She is moving on with her life, as I am with mine.

To you, my readers: thank you for following Druur and myself on this journey, despite all the bad writing and overuse of tropes and cliches:  I do hope you enjoyed it. For me, it’s been an unforgettable experience.

Fly hard - and wreak havoc!

No comments:

Post a Comment